The Internal Services Department (ISD) is a general services organization that supports the County by providing a range of support services to other County departments in the areas of purchasing, contracting, facilities, information technology, and other support services, such as energy and environmental programs management, parking, and mail services.
The current department’s operating budget is approximately $870 million and has approximately 2,200 dedicated staff, plus a contracted workforce of over 5,000. At a glance, the Internal Services Department:
- Provides support to over 45.5 million square feet of County-owned and leased space.
- Provides custodial and ground maintenance for over 20 million square feet and facility maintenance for over 13 million square feet of County-owned and leased properties.
- Manages the County’s Utilities (water/power/gas) billing for an annual budget of over $197 million.
- Procures over $1.5 billion as the County’s Purchasing Agent.
- Manages $400 million in annual contracts for services provided on behalf of County departments.
- Supports more than 100,000 County telephone lines.
- Operates one of the largest governmental data centers west of the Rockies.
- Processes millions of daily transactions for over 40,000 personal computers.
- Provides annual and as-needed fleet maintenance for over 5,000 vehicles.
- Provides internet access to over 46,000 internal users daily.
- Stores over 32.6 million digital documents and loads 10,000 new documents daily.
- Processes more than 28,000 payments to vendors and contractors yearly.
- Manages the Southern California Regional Energy Network (SoCalREN) funded by the CPUC for over $20 million annually for energy efficiency opportunities and promote training and job opportunities across Los Angele County and 6 surrounding local counties.
- Operates and maintain the County’s heating and refrigeration plants.
- Runs the County bimonthly payroll, including paying 110,000 employees, creating more than 2.4 million paystubs totaling more than $8.6 billion annually.