EV Charging Fees
Previously, all chargers installed by ISD on County property were free to use, but newly installed PowerFlex chargers require that you use a smartphone app and on January 4, 2021, the County implemented a user fee. See instructions here on how to install the PowerFlex app and use PowerFlex chargers.
The fee will be $0.30/kWh, increasing to $0.45/kWh during peak hours on weekdays from 4-9 p.m. These rates were approved by the County Board of Supervisors in May 2020 and will cover the cost of the electricity to charge cars as well as pay for ongoing maintenance and operations.
PowerFlex chargers can be found at the following locations:
- Carson Library, 151 E. Carson St, Carson
- Library Headquarters, 7400 Imperial Highway, Downey
- Martin Luther King Jr Community Hospital
- Parking Lot C
- MRI Center, 1670 E 120th St
- Parking Lot A
- Register Recorder Headquarters, 12400 E Imperial Highway, Norwalk
- Marina Parking Lot 77, 13560 Mindanao Way, Marina Del Rey
- Internal Services Department Headquarters, 1100 N Eastern Ave, LA
- Department of Public Health Headquarters, 5050 Commerce Drive Baldwin Park
- Burbank Public Health, 1101 W Magnolia Blvd, Burbank
- Sheriff at Sherman Block, 4700 Ramona Blvd, Monterey Park
How adaptive charging works
All drivers provide the make, model, and hours they will be parked the first time they use the app. PowerFlex uses the information provided by each driver parked in a lot to adjust the electricity distributed to each car during the specified hours.
Drivers’ needs will be met without using more electricity than what is needed.
This technology will reduce the strain on building transformers, as well as the electricity grid, as more chargers are added within the County and more drivers are charging their cars.